MilitarySpouseBlogs

Monday, March 1, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell...my thoughts therein

This has been on my mind for sometime, and my feelings about it are very strong, so if you are easily offended, you should stop reading now. I was a big Obama supporter. I campaigned for him, wore my T-shirts, buttons, bracelets, etc and even took my kids with me to vote for him. I cried buckets when he won. I was sure he was going to be the greatest President ever, until he came up with the idea to abolish the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the military. For those of you that don't know... "don't ask, don't tell" basically means don't tell us you're gay and we won't ask, and nothing will come of it. Good policy in my mind. Recently President Obama has come up with the idea to abolish that policy. NOT A GOOD PLAN! First off, prejudice is going to come about. In my mind, military and gay do not go together. Second off, men and women who are in the field in war times, cannot be worrying about what their military counterpart who might be gay is thinking. They have to keep their minds on their jobs and soley on their jobs, or they could die!!! Not knowing is better than knowing. If I am down in a foxhole, and my partner is a lesbian, but I don't know that, and she hasn't told, then I won't be distracted thinking about it. But if she is out in the open, I might very well worry about her checking out my butt, and then I might end up getting myself killed. I am in NO WAY saying that gays and lesbians should not serve in the military. I am sure that there are many fine homosexual people out there that do a wonderful job serving our country. All I am saying is that they should keep it to themselves. It does not need to be paraded around, spoken of on the job, and made a big issue. If we get rid of the don't ask, don't tell policy, I think that it will create more problems, rather than fix things. I am sorry if this upsets anyone, but that's what blogs are for. Speaking your mind... FREELY! My husband is in the military, and personally I would not want a gay male in the foxhole with him. I think he would be uncomfortable, distracted and possibly at risk of making a fatal error. Everytime his hypothetical gay foxhole sharer looked at him, he would be thinking "Is this guy looking at my butt?" Pats on the back would be interpreted in a whole new way!
Anywho, just my thoughts, its been on my mind for a while, so I thought I would get it out there and out of mind. Thoughts on TRICARE coming next! LOL

1 comment:

Tammi said...

Enjoyed the thoughts. I had not thought about it from that perspective and you have some VERY valid points there. It definately would create tension in the work place and could cause some fatal errors. Can't wait for the next one on tricare!!! lol